Sunday, May 14, 2023

A Delightful few Days in Seattle

 


A delightful few days in Seattle

 

Barry joined Denise and me in Seattle for a few days during a “record heat wave”.  I sense that the folks in the Pacific Northwest have a low tolerance for heat.  We found the weather lovely and were grateful to have respite from the freezing trip across the Olympic peninsula. 

Drs. Buckley and Linda Eckert were our hosts and demonstrated great kindness and hospitality during what was a rather busy time for them.  Buckley is a pediatrician with a family medical practice and Linda is an ob/gyn who on faculty at the University of Washington medical school.  This a very difficult time for obstetricians in the U.S. who often find a tension between recent legislation and being faithful to their Hippocratic Oath?

      They were parishioners in Geneva during which time Linda was working on a project at the World Health Organization promoting women’s health programs in parts of the world where this is often difficult.  She is nearing completion of her book  Enough which describes the ease with which we could eliminate cervical cancer if there was the political will to do so.  There are many men in powerful places who have constructed obstacles to the cancer’s eradication. She has conducted interviews with women she has met in Africa, Asia, and South America and tells of their heroic stories.  It should be published this fall and I am looking forward to reading it.

We also had an opportunity to visit with Eleanor Pachaud and her delightful nearly 5 year old daughter, Mia.  Eleanor was a student at Trinity College while I was the chaplain there and sang in choir.  It was wonderful to spend some time to her and remember the delight which children nearly 5 years old take in the world.  Mia’s joie de vivre was infectious and causes me to wonder why we find it so difficult to make friendly overtures as we get older. 

            We worshipped this morning at Green Lake Methodist Church, and it was an unusual joy to sit with Denise.  It was a lovely service and they offered prayers for me as I started my journey.  After lunch Denise returned to Saugus, and I began my Eastward trek.  I will spend tonight in Issaquah.  I miss Denise already, but I am looking forward to time of contemplation ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Arriving in Worcester

 It was a joy to be met by my sister and mother in Worcester