Thursday, May 4, 2023

Being Transformed by the Bicycle

 

     While stuck in traffic on a cold winter day in Montreal I turned on the radio.  The program Ideas was on, and that day’s broadcast dealt with the ways in which bicycles could transform our common life.  The program was still going on when I arrived at home, I found myself sitting in the driveway for another 20 minutes to hear the conclusion.  The commentator listed the benefits of city cycling: the end of urban gridlock traffic, the improvement of air quality, the financial freedom offered to families no longer required to maintain cars, the savings for our health care system, the mental health benefits, and the deepening of community life by virtue of being able to see each other’s faces.

   Having been converted, I went inside and convinced my wife that we should get rid of our car.  It was a hard sell, but we agreed to trade in our car on a pair of bikes which has had a profound effect on the quality of life for our family.  To name a few:

-I lost 10 pounds over the course of a few weeks with no other behavioral changes.

-We were able to make more substantial contributions towards our retirement savings and our children’s educational fund.

-I was able to cope with my own depression and anxiety.

-I became recognizable in the community.

   This last benefit became an asset in me forging my way as the priest of this urban neighborhood.  I became known as “that priest who rides a bike” to those who would otherwise have no interest in being involved in a church community.  It made me known to those seeking the pastoral ministry of the church at times of birth, marriage, and death. 

    While biking across town one day I accidentally joined a line of black limousines which comprised a funeral procession.  When we all stopped at the traffic light, an elderly woman on the sidewalk said to me, “Surely, father, they could have found room for you in one of the limousines”.  The light changed before I had opportunity to respond.   I suspect that the image had an impact on her for some time afterwards.

     My most cherished holiday memories are of biking along beautiful European bike trails with my family.  It has been a joy to participate in activities which elevate the heart rate and enables us to share a common experience.  It has also been a source of joy to discover that I am by no means unique as a middle aged ma whose primary fornm of transportation has been a bicycle.  I am encouraged by the words of H.G. Wells “When I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arriving in Worcester

 It was a joy to be met by my sister and mother in Worcester