Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Day 8 Washtucna to Lacrosse





Day 8

Washtucna to Lacrosse

    The heat has finally broken.  The monotonous landscape has changed into beautiful rolling hills with meandering rivers.  Psychologists have studied for years how threatening and oppressive environments render it impossible for people to exercise any creative thoughts about their future.  All mental energy is used to get through the difficulty.  The change in geography have led to more creative and constructive thoughts.

      The cool weather and relief in the topography allowed me to process much of what I have observed during the previous day.  I enjoyed my conversation with Grant miller, a wheat farmer.  Every year he welcomed Hasidic Rabbis to observe and bless the planting of kosher grain.  I conjured up the disconcerting mental image of combine operator wearing a baseball hat sitting next to a man with side locks donned in conservative Hasidic attire.  Both had a reverence for the process grain production.  Both were painfully aware that food products do not miraculously appear on the shelves of grocery stores.  Most people I know are blissfully unaware of how their food is produced.  They would prefer not to know either how the sausage is made or the how the grain is grown. 

To find out more about Kosher Wheat in Washington State, see the link.

Kosher Wheat in Washington State 

      As mentioned earlier, the town of Lind has a world famous annual combine demolition derby.  Every year farmers from miles spruce up the decrepit combine that is nearing the end of the days and smash them into each other.   I smile when I consider how cathartic this could be.



    Although the farming towns have been shrinking, there are still those who are moving in.  I met with family from southern California who were attracted by the relative peace of a village school.  The Washtucna high school has 23 students and, until recently, had been steadily declining.  Three local high schools had to combine forces to produce one football team.  They are too small to have either cliques or gangs. 

     On Sunday afternoon I had an easy cycle (25 miles) to Lacrosse, Washington (population 313).  I literally have not seen a single human being on the streets of town as I arrived on Sunday night.  Through Airbnb I booked a modest cabin described as (The Bunk House).  It is the only lodging (camping, motel, or private home) to be found for many miles.   It was very reasonably priced, but the reservation confirmation contained no street address for it.  I had to ride up and down the 6 streets in town to locate a building which resembled the one in the photograph.   I was told it would be unlocked and that the key would be inside on the dresser.  Recent news reports of folks accidentally approaching the wrong front door loomed in my mind.  With trepidation I knocked on the door, announced my existence, and slowly turned the handle.  It is lovely small (200 square feet) cottage air conditioned.  It is made from, what appear to be, local stones.  I have no idea why it is here, but I am grateful for it.  I will shortly leave the place and likely not see another human being as I depart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arriving in Worcester

 It was a joy to be met by my sister and mother in Worcester