Saturday, June 3, 2023

Dinner with Ethel in Missoula


Downtown Missoula

Day 20  Kellogg to Missoula

     My bicycle problems in Pullman had delayed me by 3 days.  My solution of purchasing an non-electric bicycle has slowed my progress considerably.  In order to make it to Jackson, Wyoming in time to meet with up with Denise, Jennifer, and Ted, it would be necessary for me to peddle 60 miles a day over the Rocky Mountains.  After a bit of prayerful contemplation Icame to the conclusion The spirit is willing, but the flesh is week (Matthew 26:40).  

    I swallowed my pride and violated my principles and decided that I would rent a U Haul to bring me, my bike and cart from Kellogg to Rexburg.  This would get me to Jackson a few days early.  Enroute, I decided the spend the night in Missoula, Montana (travel between these two Idaho towns requires that you pass through that part of Montana).  There I had the opportunity to visit Ethel MacDonald spend the night at her home.  Ethel is an amazing woman.  I was too polite to ask her age, but she mentioned that she has a 63 year old son.  Several years ago she decided that she would get rid of car and rely on her bike as her primary form of transportation.  She not only bikes around town, she has also biked all over the U.S. and France.    We went out to dinner at a lovely Missoula bistro and she told me some stories of strange experience of living in a very Blue City in a very Red state. 

   Ethel taught French and English for many years in the town of Arlee, Montana on the Flat Reservation, home of the Salish-Kootenai people.  When she retired, she decided to go to West Africa and taught   Benin.  Since then she has been going on extended bike trips and hosting bikers in her home.  To do this, she has used the services of Warm Showers.

    Warm Showers (warmshowers.org)  is a wonderful organization dedicated to encouraging people to offer hospitality to bikers and hikers.  Those interested in hosting are invited to submit their name to the directory.  Often hosts are cyclists themselves.  The organization was established to encourage people to re-discover the ancient tradition of welcoming the stranger.   Travelers are to arrive without vehicles and are welcome to stay one night.  The host can offer to feed them, but are not required to do so.  There are over 60,000 hosts across the globe.  The organizers have created this so that in listening to each other’s stories our better angels will emerge.  We discover that the world is filled with wonderful people.  Ethel has hosted over 200 cycling guests in the past 10 years and has, herself, been the guest in over 200 homes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Arriving in Worcester

 It was a joy to be met by my sister and mother in Worcester