Friday, July 14, 2023

Day 61 Norfolk, Nebraska


 

Day 60 Norfolk, Nebraska

    After 4 days on the Cowboy Trail, I arrived in the city of Norfolk, Nebraska (population 25,000).  It boasts, among other things, of being the birth place of Johnny Carson who had visited many times during his years as the host of the tonight show.  One can find murals around the city and his ghost looms large.

    It is a beautiful and thriving city with beautiful parks and bike paths.  It is strange to see traffic lights and neon signs for the first time in a very long time.  I am grateful for the hospitality of the Natalie and John Garden who welcomed me into their home and gave me a sumptuous feast of blackened snapper.  It was such a relief to break bread with folks in their homes after three days of peanut butter and apple in my hotel room.

     Natalie is one of the wardens at Trinity Episcopal Church, and I enjoyed the opportunity to chat with her and John about the joys and anxieties of church leadership.  We spoke of the importance of creating a space where estranged people can feel welcome, supported, encouraged, and loved.  I am grateful that they came with me to the worship service on Sunday morning during which time the rector, Peter Jark-Swain blessed me for my journey.  Later he took me out to lunch at a wonderful local Mexican restaurant during which time we chatted about both the joy and the cruelty which can be experienced within a church community.  I am grateful for his words of comfort and encouragement.  I stayed in Norfolk until the threat of rain ended and continued my journey eastward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arriving in Worcester

 It was a joy to be met by my sister and mother in Worcester