Friday, July 14, 2023

Day 62, Camping in Wisner, Nebraska

 


Day 61 Spending the night in Wisner, Nebraska

    Nearly all of the small towns through which I have cycled have small parks in which cyclists are welcome to camp.  A short-lived community blooms in these lovely spots and it was joy to meet folks who have gravitated towards that place.  There were cyclists from the U.K. who pitched their tent on the river.  I had the opportunity to chat with an extended family which gathers at the park from around the country for that particular weekend.  Their grandfather had owned a local farm which was sold years ago, yet this spot still holds a place in their hearts.

    I noticed that the grass was particularly green and lush around the building housing the showers.  It seemed to be a good place to pitch my tent, and I was grateful for the cushion which the grass provided.  As I crawled into my tent I saw hundreds of fire-flies flying around the top of the blades of grass which created a mystical atmosphere.

     I fell asleep immediately.  I was, however, awakened at 6 a.m. by the automatic sprinklers which had been installed to insure the health of the green grass upon which I slept.  If I had all of my faculties, I would have concluded that insofar as the sprinklers were only on for a brief period of time and my tent was waterproof, the best course of action is to remain in my sleeping bag until the watering was complete.  However, at dawn, I am not at my creative best and jumped out of my tent dragging all of my sleeping gear with me.  This insured that I, my clothes, and my sleeping bag became instantaneously soaked. It also insured that I would be getting on the road at a reasonable hour and, for once, would be arriving at my destination that day on schedule.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Arriving in Worcester

 It was a joy to be met by my sister and mother in Worcester