Monday, August 7, 2023

Day 78-81 South Bend to Ann Arbor, Michigan


 

Day 78-81 South Bend to Ann Arbor, Michigan

      The ride from Valparaiso to South Bend took considerably longer than I had anticipated.  My GPS informed me that cycling these 60 miles should take about 6 hours.  It took me over 10 hours.  I have to come to terms with the fact that insofar as I am pulling a heavy trailer and I am not the greatest athlete,  I have to double the projected time if I am able to keep to any sort of schedule.  I arrived in South Bend at 10 p.m. and had to navigate 90 minutes in the dark.   I have lost my bike light along the way and I believed that I would always be in bed by the time it got dark. Navigating through a strange, poorly lit, and busy city in the dark was very stressful.

    In the morning I continued to Ann Arbor, Michigan and was grateful to re-connect with Tish Shapiro, and high school classmate of mine.  One of the upside of facebook (there are many down sides) is that it puts connects us with many people from our past.  I am very grateful for her hospitality and meeting her dog, Ava.  She was given the name because of her uncanny resemblance to the actress, Ava Gardner.

     This is the second time on my journey when I have been able to visit someone I had not seen in over 40 years.  It is a very revealing thing to compare notes on your recollection of a shared history.  I am very grateful for her kindness and hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arriving in Worcester

 It was a joy to be met by my sister and mother in Worcester