Sunday, May 21, 2023

Day Eight, Sunday in Washtucna


 

Washtucna, Washington

     The nice lady who told me I could shower at her place was called out of town, so I had to lower my standards of personal hygiene.  After biking all day in the baking sun, I pitched my tent just in time to experience a torrential thunder storm. 

      I was blessed with the opportunity of attending the Wachtucna community church this morning.  I joined in their Bible Study before the service and we were studying the Davidic covenant.  They had in attendance a large portion of the town’s population (though not quite filling the church).  They were a wonder group of people who did not seem to notice that I was rather raggedy from camping out without benefit of shower.  They were such warm and welcoming folks who did not find my intrusion at all peculiar.  It was graduation Sunday and we were celebrating the folks who are about to graduate from high school.  There was a wonderful lunch afterwards which was a welcome meal.

      It is an agricultural community.  As the farms have been growing, the number of people living on them has been shrinking.  This can be seen reflected in the rapidly shrinking population.  It appears that every store on Main Street is closed and has been for some time.  It is necessary for folks to drive an hour to pick up basic groceries.

    The Church building was beautiful, and one can see the love people have for this place which appears the only gathering place in town.  There was a joyous spirit filled worship service with folks from a wide age range. 

    At lunch I had the opportunity to chat with Grant Miller who owns a local wheat farm.  Among his many interesting claims is that they grow kosher grain.  Rabbis from New York come out to his farm and ride as passengers in their combine and tractor, blessing the grain as it is planted and watered.  This is a fascinating inter-cultural experience.  His farm is in the neighboring town of Lind which is famous for its annual Combine Demolition Derby in which folks gather from all over the region to smash their combines into each other.  Sadly, my schedule does not allow me to attend.  I am backing up now and heading for Lacrosse, Washington to a place which has a roof and a shower.  I shall feel much cleaner then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arriving in Worcester

 It was a joy to be met by my sister and mother in Worcester