Sunday, May 28, 2023

Harrison Community Church and Memorial Day Concert



   Day 13 and 14

Pullman, Moscow, and Tekoa

     It appears that waiting for parts to fix my electric bike will take several weeks.  I agonized over my options and concluded that the difficulty in getting spare parts combined with the infrequency of opportunities to recharge my battery led me to conclude that it was time to exchange my beloved electric bike for a conventional bike (what the bike business call “acoustic bike”).  Scott at 3Forks Bike shop in Pullman has agreed to order the parts, fix the bike, and sell it repaired.  He will, in turn, give me send me the proceeds for the bike taking a commission for himself.

    I then went across the border to Moscow, Idaho (options in Pullman being limited) and bought a conventional bike at Paradise Creek bike shop and purchased a Specialized bike which I will use haul my stuff and my person for the remainder of the journey.

     Though I do not regret my decision, I sorely miss my electric bike.  I was able to zoom over hills and valley with ease and speed.  There was a silent force which ensured that I could reach my objectives effortlessly.  It gave me the appearance of conquering my environment without significant cost to my body or my soul.  It is a lot like white privilege. 

      I had convinced myself that the absence of an electric motor would not deter me much.  My capacity for self-deception is immense.  I left the bike shop in Moscow (you can see by my picture that I look refreshed and eager) and headed north to Tekoa, Washington (which the locals pronounce Tee-ko) which lay 42 miles to the north.  The photo at the end of the journey would not be so attractive.  This took me along beautiful, but isolated, gravel farm roads up and down significant hills.  I called upon muscle groups which have not been getting much attention lately. 

      Upon entering Tekoa, Washington (population 808) and was welcome into the home of Debbie and Jon Hall 2 hours later than I had predicted.  Such wonderful, thoughtful, and considerate people do much to restore my faith in this country.  From their back porch they could observe me puffing up the last hill.  Feeling sorry for me, Jon jumped in his truck and went to meet me offering to drive me up the final hill.  In attempt to preserve a shred of dignity, I declined and pedaled up the last half mile. 

        They had supper waiting for me.  They also had a warm shower, a lovely bed, and very pleasant conversation.  Several years ago, they retired from Pueblo, Colorado to live in this beautiful place and be closer to their children.  They were grateful for the reception they have received from the long-time residents of the town who comprise a very tight knit community.  They are a member of a local church community which is part of the Village Missions Churches.  This is an organization devoted to helping establish and support congregations in small and struggling communities.  I was struck by their mission statement

      “Village Missions supports and sends missionary pastors to rural communities across North Amerca…communities where the Gospel of Christ often would not be preached if it were not for the presence of the Village Missions pastor and church in that area”

     This is a wonderful organization which has been instrumental in the establishing of encouraging supportive communities in regions which are often ignored by most people in the country.

      Debbie and Jon had grown up in rigid Southern Baptist communities and found the opportunity of being in an open, rural community a pleasant change.   The past 70 years has seen a great drop in the population of Tekoa.  This was due largely to the closing of the railroads and the disappearance of small family farms.  There has, in recent years, been an increase in population from folks who enjoy the beauty of this area and relatively low housing costs.  It is a 45 minute commute to Spokane (though not by bike) and has much to commend itself. 

  This morning I will be biking to Harrison, Idaho and spending the night in Harrison Community Baptist Church.  I am grateful to Pastor Todd Moore for his kind invitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arriving in Worcester

 It was a joy to be met by my sister and mother in Worcester