Saturday, June 3, 2023

Day 21 Missoula to Sugar City


I used the U-Haul to reach the top of the Continental Divide

Day 21 Missoula to Sugar City

   I drove the U-Haul from Missoula to Rexburg.  I was listening to the strange and beautiful novel Lincoln in Bardo, by George Saunders.  I glanced at the gas level periodically as I drove and I seem to be half full and felt I could make it to Rexburg.  Two Hundred miles later it still registered half full, and I realized that I had been looking at the temperature gauge.  The “nearly empty” light came on and I realized that I was a long distance from any place of commerce.  I am grateful that I was on a 30 mile down hill slope which is what I needed to get to the closest gas station. 

    The landscape from Missoula to Rexburg is isolated and beautiful.  There are rolling hills with the constant backdrop of the snow capped Rockies.   The truck was missing a side view mirror on the passenger side which made changing lanes very exciting.

      I arrived at the drop off center in Rexburg, removed my bike and trailer and biked the 10 miles to Sugar City.  Along the way I saw the immense and beautiful fields of Idaho potatoes.  Most of the potatoes consumed in the U.S. are grown in this part of the state.

    I spent Thursday night with the Old School house which has been renovated into a lovely home.  Judy and Mark Oliphant have an organic farm on the grounds and served me a breakfast of German pancakes and jam all made from ingredients produced within a couple of hundred feet of the kitchen table .


No comments:

Post a Comment

Arriving in Worcester

 It was a joy to be met by my sister and mother in Worcester