Saturday, June 3, 2023

Day 22: Sugar City-Driggs, Idaho


 Canyon River making a slice through the relatively flat potato field.


Approaching the Tetons while peddling across Idaho farmland


Mary Barton loading my bike, cart, and gear.

Day 22:  Sugar City-Driggs, Idaho

    Heading East from Sugar City one has to travel 45 miles to Driggs, which is the next town of more than 200 people. I had made arrangements to stay with the Burton family who have moved there from Alaska.   The weather report announced that there would be scattered thunder storms.   I thought that if I have a warm bed awaiting me at the end of the journey, I could weather the rain.  For the first 30 miles I did not encounter a single drop of rain.  As I was biking up the hill for the final 15 miles I could see an ominous black cloud heading towards me.  The temperature dropped 15 degrees in a few minutes and knew that this was going to be a nasty storm. 

    As I peddled as quickly as I could with my depleted energy up this steep hill, a van pulled over and a woman with three young boys hopped out.  She said “I’m Mary Burton and I figured you could use a lift into town”.  We managed to get the cart into the back of the van and the bike on the rack just as the skies opened up.  As we drove through the blinding rain she said that she and her family were going to be spending the night at their cabin by one of many thermal springs in Idaho.  She said I could either spend the night there or in their house by myself.  I opted for solitude and thanked her for kindness.

   The world is filled with gentle, kind, and generous souls.  They will never make the headlines of our news reports, though they shape the world in which we live.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Arriving in Worcester

 It was a joy to be met by my sister and mother in Worcester