Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Day 25 Driggs-Victor


 At the top of the Teton Pass

Day 25

Driggs-Victor

   There is a lovely, flat bike trail from Driggs to Victor which made for very leisurely day.  After church, Mary baked some cookies and gave me some for my journey.  The trail along the valley gave spectacular views of the Tetons and is a well used for transportation and recreational.  I arrived in Victor two hours earlier than expected and treated myself to one of their “World famous Huckleberry Milkshakes” which was a delight.   Gene and Jenn Marcowka welcomed me into their elegant home which offered spectacular mountain views.

   Sadly, their beautiful dog, Darly, was suffering from a cancer which was in a very advanced state.  While there, they were pondering if the day had come to have her euthanized.  When evening came around, she perked up considerably, ate her dinner and enjoyed a brief walk.  It became clear that today was not going to be her last.

    Like many in the valley, Gene and Jenn retired early and moved to this valley because it offers such wonderful outdoor recreation.  Gene works on the board of the search and rescue operations in the Tetons as well as other non-profits devoted to making the outdoors accessible to all persons.  They are avid skiers and enjoy the opportunity to go back country skiing in some of the more remote hills in the region.  They have also been on extensive bike trips across the country and are grateful for the hospitality offered to them on their journeys.  They expressed how they have learned and have been shaped by some of the many people they have hosted in their home.

     I got up on Monday morning and started to psych myself up to tackling the Teton Pass.  This involved a steep climb of 2,500 feet along 9 miles of highway with little shoulder and then a 2,500 downhill along a bike path into Wilson, Wyoming.  After did my stretching and loaded up my bike, Jenn said “how about if I drive you in our truck to the top of the pass.”  I thought that this would make me into a slothful person.  I pushed this thought out of my head and accepted her very kind offer.  Every foot we travelled along the windy road increased my gratitude for this assistance.

    She dropped me off at the top and I had a glorious coast into Wilson arriving 4 hours early.  It was a wonderful day


No comments:

Post a Comment

Arriving in Worcester

 It was a joy to be met by my sister and mother in Worcester