Saturday, August 12, 2023

Day 88 Lyons to Weedsport


 

Day 88 Lyons to Weedsport

     Monday was as nasty as Sunday had been beautiful.  The air was heavy with an oppressive humidity.  I had originally planned to camp today, but I received these ominous alerts about violent thunderstorms.  After an extensive argument in my head (I do not need others to have an argument, I can do it all myself), I decided to splurge on a motel room. 

     Ten minutes after I pulled my bike and cart into the room, the skies opened up and poured out one of the most intense rainstorm I have ever seen.  We received 3 inches of rain in an hour accompanied by deafening thunder.  The solidity of the walls, and dryness of the bed became a source of great comfort.  I pulled out my phone and discovered that there were tornado warnings throughout the region.

     An hour later, the rain stopped, the sky cleared, and air cooled.  There were several large trees across the street which had been knocked down, but our building was unharmed.   On the walkway outside of our motel room my two neighbors pulled out some chairs along with their fiddle and flute.  They began to play a haunting Irish tune which seemed fitting for the atmosphere after the deluge.

     The musicians introduced themselves as Chris O’Brien and John Kennedy-two members of the band “Kennedy’s Kichen” I invite you to look at their website.

     John is also an economics professor who has spoke about how current economic policies have exacerbated our growing socio economic divide.  The retrieved a bottle of whisky from their room and we toasted the end of the storm and the healing and inspirational power of music.  We stayed there outside of our room well into the night.  It was evening very well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arriving in Worcester

 It was a joy to be met by my sister and mother in Worcester